- It is amazing how a seed can be kept for years and it still grows when you plant it.
- Seeds are living things which live inside a shell which protects them.
- Inside the shell, they have an embryo which it grows into.
- Inside the seed shell, there is also food which the baby plant will live off when you put it into the soil and feed it water.
- When you plant a seed and it sprouts it is called germination.
- When the plant has eaten all of the food in the shell it pops up and searches for light.
- In Israel, scientists discovered a seed of a date palm tree that was 2000 years old. This ancient seeds sprouted into a new plant now that’s amazing.
*This post contains affiliate links
How seeds travel
- There are many ways in which seeds travel. Different parts of nature help them out along their way, seeds are designed in special ways to help them travel
- Maple and Pine tree seeds have wings that help them spin to the ground and glide through the air.
- Seeds from plants like poppies are small so get taken by the wind when the pod cracks open.
- Orchid seeds are even smaller they are tiny specks.
- Birds eat lots of seeds and transport it as they are travelling across the world.
- We spread them around everywhere so different countries get each other’s plants.
- When Georgie the Magpie finds interesting plants or tasty fruit he brings some seeds back for Dan so he can grow them in Three Little Woods.
- Some animals eat seeds and store them on forest floors so when it comes into the right season the seeds will germinate.
Read all about the story of the seed.