What’s in a Seed?
- It is amazing how a seed can be kept for years and it still grows when you plant it.
Seeds are living things which live inside a shell which protects them.
Inside the shell, they have an embryo which it grows into.
Inside the seed shell, there is also food which the baby plant will live off when you put it into the soil and feed it water.
When you plant a seed and it sprouts it is called germination.
When the plant has eaten all of the food in the shell it pops up and searches for light.
In Israel, scientists discovered a seed of a date palm tree that was 2000 years old. This ancient seeds sprouted into a new plant now that’s amazing.
How seeds travel
- There are many ways in which seeds travel. Different parts of nature help them out along their way, seeds are designed in special ways to help them travel
- Maple and Pine tree seeds have wings that help them spin to the ground and glide through the air.
- Seeds from plants like poppies are small so get taken by the wind when the pod cracks open.
- Orchid seeds are even smaller they are tiny specks.
- Birds eat lots of seeds and transport it as they are
travellingacross the world.
- We spread them around everywhere so different countries get each other’s plants.
- When Georgie finds interesting plants or tasty fruit he brings some seeds back for Dan so he can grow them in Three Little Woods.
Some animals eat seeds and store them on forest floors so when it comes into the right season the seeds will germinate.
Look at lots of seeds here