- 300g self-raising flour
- 300g light muscovado sugar ( soft brown sugar)
- 3 teaspoons of mixed spice
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g sultanas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 200g butter
- zest 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 500g of pumpkin flesh
Good to have some Children’s Cooking Tools to hand
For the frosting:
- 85g butter
- 200g pack soft cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- zest 1 orange and juice of half
- Weighing scales
- Chopping board
- Small sharp knife
- Wooden spoon
- Electric whisk
- Baking tray 30 x 20 cm
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 small mixing bowls
- A grater
- A lemon squeezer
- Cooling rack
- Palette knife
- Heat oven to 180Cor gas 4. Butter and line a 30 x 20cm baking tray.
- Put the flour, sugar, spice, bicarbonate of soda,
sultanasand salt into a large bowl and stir until it is mixed together.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds or until runny.
- By using the grater to grate the zest of the orange
askan adult for help with this. Then using the lemon squeezer juice the orange.
- Beat the eggs into the melted butter. Then stir in the zest and the juice from the orange.
- Then add to the dry ingredients and stir until it is all combined together.
- Cut the pumpkin into very small pieces, always ask an adult for help when using sharp knifes.
- Add the pumpkin to the mixture and stir in.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and put in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch. Ask an adult to put it in and take it out of the oven.
- To make the frosting, zest another orange; by using the grater ask for help with this. Also juice half of the orange with the lemon squeezer.
- Then in a clean mixing bowl beat together the cheese, butter, icing sugar, orange zest and 1 tsp of the juice till smooth and creamy.
- Put it in the fridge to keep it fresh and cool.
- When the cake is done, cool for 5 minutes then turn it onto a wire cooling rack.
- Prick it all over with a fork and gently pour the rest of the orange juice on it, whilst the cake is still warm.
- Then leave to cool
- Get the frosting out of the fridge when the cake has cooled down and stir gently. Using a palette knife spread over the top of the cake.
- Keep it in the fridge until ready to eat.
- This cake will keep fresh enough to eat for 3 days!