It is used for furniture, car interiors, toys, bags, even clothing. You can only recycle some types of plastic e.g. milk bottles, plastic bottles
Plastic is made from oil, & is a non-renewable resource & will one day run out.
Did you know?
Britainwe throw away nearly 9 billion plastic bottles every year. They go into a landfill where they are big, bulky and take up room.
- Plastic never fully decomposes.
- Plastic makes up 11% of household waste.
- There are different types of plastic, which makes it harder to recycle.
- Reuse plastic as much as possible – take the same carrier bags to the supermarket.
- Did you know that every plastic bag buried in a landfill takes 500 years to decompose and we use 150 million plastic bags a week in the UK?
- Recycling just 1 plastic bottle saves enough energy to run a 60w light bulb for 6 hours.
Before you put your plastic bottles out to be recycled remember to:
- Take off the lids.
- Wash the bottles.
- Squash the bottles flat, so they take up less space.
- Re-use plastic bottles for taking drinks to school.
Things that are made from recycled plastic:
- Plastic bottles
- Video, CD and cassette cases
- Garden furniture and sheds
- Water butts
- Seed trays for planting young seedlings
- Cosy fleece jumpers- it takes 25 x
2pop bottles to make a fleece. litre
- Quilt filling.